skip to content

Reentry Resource Center - New York

Serving People from Arrest to Reintegration

NYC Civil Court Name Change Order Form (Urban Justice Center, 2005)

  • Organization: Urban Justice Center
  • Document Type: Form (court)
  • Date Created: Tuesday, December 13, 2005
  • Submitted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005
  • Attachment(s): DOC

Sample order form for filing a name-change application in Civil Court of New York City, New York County.

Name-change may be required by the New York City Housing Authority, for people who have no first name (only "male" or "female") on their Birth Certificate

Legal Services attorneys recomend filing name-change applications in Manhattan, where the clerks are most helpful and knowlegable. This is especially true when filing on behalf of transgender clients.

Court fees for name-change applications may be waived with a Pauper's Affadavid, but applicants are legally required to print their name-change notice in a minimum of two publications, which involves small fees.

Pro Bono and legal aid attorney resources - Pro Bono Net